A prefold is a rectangular piece of fabric but has more layers of fabric sewn in for more absorbency in the middle, which creates a ‘prefolded’ diaper. It is also designed to be fastened and used with a cover. Prefolds can be made of cotton, hemp or bamboo fabrics.
Preparing Your New Prefolds
- Wash at least 3 times before use
- Separate from synthetic materials in cloth diapers, such as polyester and fleece
- Ideally, fully dry between washes (hang dry or dryer)
- Expect prefolds to shrink 10%
- Use a detergent free off fabric softener
Unbleached cotton, hemp and bamboo contain natural oils that must be removed. We suggest at least 3 washes before using new prefolds. Your prefolds will achieve maximum absorbency after around 10 washes. You can prep by washing prefolds with your regular laundry, as long as you use a detergent free of fabric softener.
Prep your prefolds separately from your pocket diapers or all-in-ones. The natural oils you remove during the prep can effect the absorbency of polyester and fleece of your diaper.
To maintain product warranty always follow manufacturers instructions.